For the Sake of the Call (1990)
Updated: Sep 16
For the Sake of the Call is the fourth studio album by Christian singer - songwriter Steven Curtis Chapman, released on December 11, 1990 by Sparrow Records. The album is produced by Phil Naish.
The title song was ranked at number 37 by CCM Magazine in their 2006 book The 100 Greatest Songs in Christian Music. It also went to number one on the Christian radio charts. Five additional singles were released throughout 1991 up to early 1992. For the Sake of the Call topped the Billboard Top Christian Albums chart giving him his first number one album.
In 1992, Chapman won his first Grammy Award for Best Pop/Contemporary Gospel Album at the 34th Grammy Awards and won two Dove Awards for Songwriter of the Year and Pop/Contemporary Album of the Year at the 23rd GMA Dove Awards. In 1994, the album was Gold certified by the Recording Industry Association of America (RIAA) for sales of 500,000 copies.
All songs were written by Steven Curtis Chapman, except where noted.
1. For the Sake of the Call -5:31
2. What Kind of Joy -4:37
3. Busy Man -4:29
4. Lost In the Shadow (Steven Curtis Chapman, James Isaac Elliot) –5:01
5. Higher Ways (Steven Curtis Chapman, Phil Naish) –4:21
6. Blind Lead the Blind (Steven Curtis Chapman, Geoff Moore) -4:47
7. You Know Better (Steven Curtis Chapman, Bob Sauer) –3:44
8. When You Are a Soldier –3:35
9. No Better Place (Steven Curtis Chapman, Phil Naish) -3:50
10. Show Yourselves to Be –4:26
11. For the Sake of the Call (reprise) -1:18
Gold certified in 1994.
Grammy Award -Best Pop/Contemporary Gospel Album (For the Sake of the Call)
Dove Award -Songwriter of the Year
Pop/Contemporary Album of the Year (For the Sake of the Call)
1990 -1991 "For the Sake of the Call" -#3 Christian CHR, #1 Christian AC
1991 "When You Are a Soldier" -#12 Christian AC
1991 "No Better Place" -#1 Christian AC, #1 Christian AC
1991 "Busy Man" -#3 Christian CHR, #1 Christian AC
1991 -1992 "What Kind of Joy" -#11 Christian CHR, #1 Christian AC
1992 "You Know Better" -#15 Christian CHR, #6 Christian AC
Previous release: More To This Life (1989)
Next release: The Great Adventure (1992)