The Whole Truth (1995)
Updated: Oct 21
The Whole Truth is the second studio album by the female Christian vocal group Point of Grace, released on March 15, 1995 by Word Records. The album is produced by Robert Sterling.
The title of the album is taken from the second single "Dying to Reach You," in which the line says "...you've been living in search of, the whole truth and real love, your whole life through, you can open your heart, 'cause He's dying to reach you." Word Records' promotion department felt intimidated by the prospect of its first single, "The Great Divide." The lyrics of "The Great Divide," as recorded, were the result of a happy mistake: the line "There's a bridge to cross the great divide" was meant to be repeated, but a typo rendered the second instance as "There's a cross to bridge the great divide." Despite that, "The Great Divide" along with "Dying to Reach You" both went to number one on the Christian AC chart. Three other songs topped the Christian AC chart: "Gather at the River," "God is With Us" and "Love Like No Other." Music videos were made for "Dying to Reach You" and "Gather at the River."
The Whole Truth peaked at number 3 on the Top Christian Albums and Point of Grace made its first appearance on the Billboard Top 200 Albums chart peaking at number 132. In 1996, Point of Grace won three out of the four categories at the 27th GMA Dove Awards: Group of the Year, Pop/Contemporary Album of the Year and Pop/Contemporary Recorded Song of the Year for the track "The Great Divide," awarded to the group and its songwriters Grant Cunningham and Matt Huesmann. In 1997, the album was certified Gold by the Recording Industry Association of America (RIAA). In 2006, CCM Magazine named "The Great Divide" as one of the 100 Greatest Songs in Christian Music, ranking at number 19.
1. Gather at the River (Regie Hamm, Joel Lindsay) -3:25
2. Without the Love of Jesus (Robert Sterling, John Mandeville) -3:49
3. The Great Divide (Grant Cunningham, Matt Huesmann) -4:18
4. Dying to Reach You (Geoff Thurman, Michael Puryear) -4:15
5. Love Like No Other (Ty Lacy, John Mandeville) -4:13
6. God Is with Us (Robert Sterling) -3:58
7. What's He Gonna Say About Me (Geoff and Becky Thurman, Doyle Tallent) -4:17
8. The Love He Has for You (Dave Clark, Shelley Phillips) -4:59
9. Take Me Back (Robert Sterling, Pete Strayer) -3:55
10. The House That Mercy Built (Grant Cunningham, Matt Huesmann) -4:00
11. More Than Anything (Jon Mohr, Randall Dennis) -3:29
Gold certified in 1997.
Point of Grace:
Shelly Breen -vocals
Denise Jones -vocals
Terry Jones -vocals
Heather Payne -vocals
Dove Award - Group of the Year
Pop/Contemporary Album of the Year (The Whole Truth)
Pop/Contemporary Recorded Song of the Year ("The Great Divide")
1995 "The Great Divide" -#1 Christian AC
1995 "Dying to Reach You" -#10 Christian CHR, #1 Christian AC
1995 "Gather at the RIver" -#14 Christian CHR, #1 Christian AC
1995 -1996 "God is With Us" -#11 Christian CHR, # Christian AC
1996 "Love Like No Other" -#14 Christian CHR, #1 Christian AC
Previous release: Point of Grace (1993)
Next release: Life, Love & Other Mysteries (1996)